NAVAN RFC to celebrate 50 years at Balreask Old.
It is with great pleasure that the members and committee of Navan RFC announce the following finalists for the dream team of the last half century.
The announcement and presentation of the selected team will take place on Saturday 21st Feb, 2015 in the clubhouse at Balreask Old following our #UBL clash against Highfield.
Coach: Dick Brady, Brad Harris , Seamus Tuomey
1. David Healy, Eoin King, Ciaran Brassil.
2. Dick Brady, John Baker, Connor Brady.
3. Paddy Kelly, David King, Enda Nugent.
4. Marie Louise Reilly, John Duffy, Liam Sherlock.
5. John Reid, Liam McMenamin, Tony Whyte.
6. Peter Brady, Thomas Clarke, Steve McNeill.
7. John Brady, Bernard Smyth, Sinead Ryan.
8. Brian McKeever, John McLarney, John Joyce.
9. Jim Finnegan, Bernard Reilly, Collie Farrell.
10. Paul Beggy, Ryan Roberts, John Mulvihill.
11. David Geraghty, Tom Finlay, David Beggy.
12. Paul McEvoy, Tom Mullen, Michael Fitzsimmons.
13. David Lyons, Richard Kelly, John Ward.
14. Brian Coyle, Gerry Beggy, Michael Gavigan.
15. Fergal McGuirk, Karl Manning, Damian Guerin.
It is with great pleasure that Navan RFC committee, players and members are set to celebrate 50years at our rugby home, Balreask Old. Founded in 1924, Navan RFC were originally based at the county show grounds but much like many volunteer run organizations, the club had it’s good and bad days. The decades following WWII were particularly harsh and in 1962 the club had no grounds or pavilion. Imagination, courage and the daring nature of Navan RFC members prevailed however and a project commenced which would lead to the club moving to the highly praised Balreask Old Grounds in 1964.
Navan have achieved outstanding success throughout our last 50 years at Balreask Old, claiming 17 McGowan Cup titles, 10 Provincial Towns Cup successes, 2 Leinster League Division 1 Titles along with an All Ireland Cup Victory, and we feel it is only fitting to mark the achievements of our teams and members that have made this success possible.
On Saturday February 21st our current First XV will take on the might of league toppers Highfield at 2.30pm. This fixture will be the platform to celebrate our 50th Anniversary at Balreask Old and we are inviting all past players, members and friends of Navan RFC to join us in celebrating this milestone by attending a pre match reception in the clubhouse at 1pm. This is a complimentary, non-ticket event. We have enlisted the help of our club members to get in touch with all past captains and urge them to engage as many of their past team-mates as possible to ensure this is an event to remember.
Our team taking to the pitch on the day will be wearing a specially commissioned jersey to mark the celebration which will host a list of club honours along with the names of each and every player who has worn the blue of Navan’s first XV at any point over the last 50 years in a tribute to their contribution to everything that has become Navan RFC.
This event will see the largest reunion of players of our past that has ever taken place in our clubs history and we are very excited to welcome faces of old back to Balreask Old.